DuckIt’s a fact of life, albeit an inconvenient one for swimming pool owners, that both indoor and outdoor pools need constant sanitisation with chlorine or they’ll become dirty, ridden with bugs and, crucially, not a lot of fun to swim in.

Usually, an owner will utilise two different treatment techniques in order to spread chlorine in a pool and keep it in good nick – stabilised, regular treatments and pool shock treatments.

But what’s the different between shock treatments and regular treatments? Let’s take a look:

What do shock treatments do?

Before we compare the two, it’s vital to establish what they’re both intended to do. In order to keep a pool free from bugs, bacteria and unsightly algae and ensure it’s safe from swimmers, you need to treat it with chlorine. But for the chemicals to work correctly, you need the pH level of the water to be between 7.2 and 7.5.

Both shock and regular treatments aim to keep the water safe and sanitary.

What is a regular treatment?

To keep a pool’s pH within the recommended levels, some pool owners will used stabilised, regular pool treatments which usually consist of 90 per cent chlorine. These treatments will sit on the top of a pool surface in a dispenser and gradually dissolve into the water and treating it over a period of days. Because this approach requires, usually, weekly treatment it’s perfect for those people who like a bit of routine and who feel capable of managing their pool’s pH over a longer period of time. However, if you find that your area is at risk from excess rainwater, leaves and foliage (which allows bacteria into the pool) then a steady, constant regular treatment may not be the best option.

What is shock treatment?

As you might expect, treating a pool with shock granules ensures a quicker, less regimented solution to keeping your water in the right condition. Shock treatments come in granules which are scattered over the water and are often used if a pool is suffering some serious problems with ugly algae and growths, or for those people who don’t have time to wait for a stabilised treatment to work.

Can I use both?

Of course – in fact, it’s recommended that pool owners do combine the two in order to enjoy the best results. A steady regular treatment is popular with many pool owners as it allows for a healthy pool, that’s easier to maintain but it’s also well worth having some shock treatments available in the event of heavy rainfall, or if your pool needs more drastic treatment.

(Image: CogDog)

Shock Chlorine Granules Slider